What is Autism?
Autism is a lifelong developmental condition characterised by difficulties in social interaction, communication, restricted and repetitive interests and behaviours, and sensory sensitivities.
An estimated 1 in 70 Australians are on the autism spectrum; that is around 353,880 people. It is four times more common in boys than girls.
The strengths that an employee with autism may convey are:
- Loyalty and honesty
- Excellent attention to detail
- A logical approach to tasks
- Strong accuracy
- Impeccable memory
- An ability to concentrate on routines and procedures
The benefits of employing someone with autism have been identified as the following:
- Leaders will increase their management skills
- Promotion of staff morale
- Higher productivity
- Unique skill sets brought to the workforce such as high attention to detail, different ways of thinking and the ability to accurately complete repetitive tasks
Click on the link below to see job candidates from Autism Works Now tell you in their own words the unique and amazing skills they bring to the table.
Next time you are in need to recruit new staff, be sure to consider hiring someone who could be on the spectrum… the results may surprise you.